My Eulogy to Mary Morstan

Please be aware that this blog contains spoilers about Sherlock, if you haven't watched up to the first episode of series 4 then do not read on! Comments and reviews would be appreciated, thank you!


It's Sunday night. New Years Day. Everyone else has gone to bed except me. I am currently situated on my sofa still in shock over tonight's episode of Sherlock. It's the new series and only the first episode and yet despite it only being the first episode, I've been left with my hands over my mouth in shock as I tear up and watch my favourite television character die by sacrificing herself to save the man himself, Sherlock. It feels like a finale. However this is only the beginning.
I always knew Mary would die. I always had this feeling she would. It happened in the books and I believed therefore it would happen in the show as the fantastic writers are so loyal to it. I'll admit being prepared for it to happen did not take away the gasp factor. I was expecting her to die later perhaps in episode two. I was expecting it to be emotional and yet I still teared up as I watched her say her final words. In fact a lot of my predictions for what would happen (at this point) sort of came true and yet I am still so invested that I cannot believe it.
 Mary Morstan was an exceptional character. She was everything you want an empowering female character to be. I immediately fell in love with her in the third series when she was introduced. Even when she shot Sherlock, I was thought she was brilliant. It just showed how strong she was to be able to make snap decisions to plan the next and best possible move. In the special she was even more interesting as her Victorian character was not like your any day middle class, sensitive lady. She was feisty and awfully quick-witted as she worked for Mycroft and was a supporter of the Suffragist movement.
One of the reasons I loved her so much was not just because of her exceptionally well-written character but also because I feel I could relate to her. I know that's a pretty odd thing to say. Do I want to go around shooting people as a career? No. Am I an expecting mother or wife with an addiction to danger? Definitely not. But before finding out Mary was an assassin she came across as a very easy-going, sweet natured woman. I feel I've been described so many times as a "nice polite young lady" or "shy but sweet-natured" girl. So as a thirteen year old -at the time- watching this character who was already my favourite, turn out to be this incredibly sharp, strong and fiery woman, it did actually help me see that just because I am this "polite, nice quiet girl" who can be gentle and easy-going doesn't mean I don't have a voice. Doesn't mean I don't take risky opportunities, doesn't mean I don't get to be a little confident and strong when dealing with scary situations. Doesn't mean I don't get to be in control. Okay, yes, I'm not dealing with criminals or life- threatening situations but we all have our own villains in life. Mary showed me how I could conquer mine whilst continuing to be who I am.
The Six Thatchers in a way, centered around her and her past. Which for me, was perfect. She somehow became even more brilliant and even more fascinating. From the humorous scene of her about to give birth to her dying in the aquarium, everything added up so perfectly. Mark Gatiss showed absolutely genius and class in what was an exceptional storyline. What was so beautiful about it was just as I was becoming more and more invested in her, as I learnt more about her past, it felt like a punch in the stomach that she came to this dramatic yet a sudden simple death. That's what was so shocking about it, she was the key role in this episode and then suddenly she was gone. I watched with tears in my eyes as she said her final words to John and Sherlock. What so heartbreaking about it was even though she was scared and in pain, she accepted death and got everything she wanted to say out their with such sincerity and bravery. Her words were so effective and devastating as she spoke of her daughter, best friend and husband. Even till the very end she always had them, her family, in mind. Making sure they'd be protected when she could no longer could do it herself.
After watching it a second time, (which by the way, left me and my mum crying properly this time) I thought, as devastating as it is, as heartbreaking it is to see your favourite character go, what an incredible storyline to finish off with. Even "ghost Mary" in episode two, despite it being John's imagination was her. Everything ghost Mary said would of been what she said if she was alive. And even in ghost form she was absolutely exceptional in keeping the boys together. By saving them.
And the spectacular series ended with Mary having the final words and lines. As it should of been because she was such a important piece to the puzzle.
 As much as I didn't want her to die, I am in a way glad that she did because now I have seen Amanda Abbington's most exceptional and sublime performance to date. She did the best job of bringing Mary to our screens.
 In a way it feels like quite a nostalgic closure. Mary is what initially made me become the such a fan of Amanda's work in the first place. I believe Mary Morstan was given the most important role in the end. Despite the fact that she's gone, she leaves behind the most outstanding legacy and what will be the driving force behind what plays out next for the show.
I'm dedicating this blog to Amanda Abbington for bringing to life one of the best female characters on television. There was no one else who could of done better than her fantastic performance. To the writers of Sherlock, especially Mark Gatiss because he wrote The Six Thatchers. He wrote Mary exactly as I hoped for in her final episode. And, finally to Mary Morstan herself. Who despite being fictional, taught me a lot and gave me so much joy when watching the show. Her fierce, intelligent strong, flawed and utterly brilliant self will always be one of the most important in the show.
RIP Mary Elizabeth Morstan
🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹



Comments

Popular Posts