A-Z (ish) of Inspiring Women

Happy International Day of the Woman! Here's a list of Women I want to thank and celebrate for being amazing. I wish I could fit everyone on the list! Hope you enjoy this post. Let me know what you think and tell me who inspires you. Have a brilliant day!

Amanda Abbington - I mean this is no surprise to anyone really is it? But if none of you know, Amanda Abbington is an actress best known for her roles in Mr. Selfridge and Sherlock. She also is an extremely fierce, strong woman who often speaks out about different issues on Twitter whilst speaking about the importance of kindness and decency. I owe her so much, she is incredibly inspiring and has taught me a great deal.  She has been so kind to me. A beautiful, awe-inspiring person. If I grew up to half as amazing as she is, I'll count myself lucky.

Clemmie Hooper - Clemmie is a mother of four daughters, Instagram star, author and midwife. I would love to have a career like hers! She speaks about motherhood and midwifery in such an honest and engaging way. Also keeps things very real and supports small local brands. She is just brilliant and I adore her work. I find her so inspiring and would love to go about Midwifery like she does once I hopefully get to be one.

dodie  (Dodie Clark) - Vlogger and Musician, dodie speaks out about mental health issues a lot on Instagram and in her videos. Her music and work have taught me a lot about my own mental health and how it affects me. She is a kind soul who gives so much time and makes so much effort in everything she does. Her music is like therapy.

Florence Nightingale - "Very little can be done under the spirit of fear". A pioneer in Health care, Florence Nightingale to me is the founder of Modern Nursing. She was brave and fearless. She was determined to make a difference and she did.

Paloma Faith - My favorite singer, Paloma Faith! Not just a singer she is also an activist and speaks on political, social and gender issues. She runs a website about spreading kindness, empathy and compassion. She continues to inspire me since I was 11 years old. Beautiful, hilarious fantastic woman. I am so proud as a fan of how far she's come.

Kathleen Hanna - Lead singer in Bikini Kill,  Le Tigre, and The Julie Ruin. Queen of the riot girl movement. She is a fearless feminist who's songs make me feel proud, brave and fierce. She is beyond a credit to Feminism and is so talented at what she does. She is just amazing.

Tove Jansson - Creator of the Moomin, author Tove Jansson has used her own life experiences including her mental health to tell stories through these loveable, wise creatures. They're more than just children's stories and are full of life lessons and pearls of wisdom if you read them with an open heart. Just glorious.

Caitlin Moran - Journalist and author. Caitlin Moran wrote a book called 'How To Be a Women' which was given to me during a very difficult time when I was 1e or 14 by a friend. This book basically got me through that time by teaching me how to be a proud feminist and woman. I wouldn't be the person I am today without that. Caitlin, I thank you for everything. Your book became a bible to me!

Rosalind Franklin - Scientist who helped make the discovery of Chromosome X. She made huge discoveries in the structure of DNA. Her work was almost stolen and credit was taken by male scientists but now her story is being told. Her intelligence and pioneering work is inspiring as was her drive to succeed.

Suffragette - I've written a whole blog about the Suffragette movement but I have to give them a shoutout for making me understand feminism and inspiring millions to fight the good fight. They paved that path for us.

Sylvia Plath - Writer and poet. Her poetry is a work of art. She used the tragedies in her life to creating beautiful poems which resonate with me on a daily basis. She has a sheer talent for writing and creating but also is strong. Her poems are so unique in their emotion and are simply stunning.

Twiggy - A model who became an icon in the swinging sixties. Her fashion and style taught me it's okay to dress differently, wear bold makeup and colorful prints. To not care about people's judgment whilst loving fashion. Adore her and her work. Thank you, Twiggy, for giving me confidence.

Hannah Witton - YouTuber and author. Talks about sex education and female health. She breaks down very important social barriers and makes it okay to have discussions about very important subjects that are usually too 'embarrassing' to talk about. Has an amazing YouTube channel, I admire her a lot!

There are so many more women to thank for being so inspiring. Nina Simone, Maya Angelou, Aretha Franklin, Frida Kahlo, Heidi Thomas, Stacey Dooley and so many more!

Not to mention my mother, my female friends and everyone at Rock Camp for Girls. I feel so lucky to have you all in my life and to know such strong, amazing women.
Thank you all for inspiring me.

Here's to strong women. May we know them, may we be them and may we raise them.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts